Blogloving

And then everything changed

Mittwoch, 1. März 2017

Why music is essential to life

I'm a sucker for all sorts of entertainment from books, over podcasts and movies, to tv show. But one of my first passions was music. When I was a teenager music was what I defined myself by. I chose my friends and my clothes according to my taste in music. In some ways it's definitely good that it doesn't work that way anymore as an adult (because yes, people can be amazing even if they love electro). But also I miss that music was such a central part of my life.

Music is still really important to me, I just don't scream about it at the top of my lungs anymore - except now. Here's me screaming for my love of music. Honestly I don't think I could survive without music - well, maybe I could but it would be a much sader and boring life. I listen to music everyday in the bus, when I do the dishes or when I'm reading stuff on the internet. Sometimes I turn it up real loud, dance to it and sing along (though I sound terrible).

The thing about music is that it helps me breath. It helps me express my feelings and put things into perspective. When I'm in a bad mood I listen to breakup songs which channel my aggression. When I'm a in a good mood - well, I also listen to breakup songs then, because they're great whenever - but also to upbeat, powerful tracks which make me feel so much more alive. And when I'm feeling sentimental there's nothing better than looking out of the window into the night while listening to ballads, stadium rock, accoustic, things like that.

I still listen to many bands I have loved for years like Billy Talent or All American Rejects and they give me a sense of steadiness. I might not know what I'm going to do with my life, but at least my taste in music is steady. But there's nothing more amazing than discovering a new band I instantly fall in love with. At the moment 5 Seconds To Summer are my go to band for a positive outlook on life, while Shawn James and Iwan Rheon speak to the deeper and darker parts of my soul.

No matter what kind of music you like, isn't it amazing that all it takes is some tunes and some lyrics to turn your day aorund? I'm not talented in making music at all, I can't sing or play an instrument. But I do appreciate the work of musicians so much. They give us the greatest gift there is: a moment of freedom and clarity in an otherwise controlling and confusing world.

All I want to say is: Thanks so much for that!

PS: Here's another band I'm currently obsessed with, The Wombats:


1 Kommentar:

  1. So well said! As a teenager I also defined myself by the bands I listened to. Like wearing a band t-shirt or pin was necessary to show the world how "cool" I was. But also because I needed something to relate to when so many of my friends were vastly different than me.

    Music is awesome for so many reasons, loved learning about why it's important to you!

    AntwortenLöschen