Blogloving

And then everything changed

Donnerstag, 24. August 2017

If it gives you a little joy in this horrible world - go for it!

A while ago I heard the fabolous Ru Paul say this on a podcast:
"If it gives you a little joy in this horrible world - go for it." 


I think they were talking about people who have Instagram accounts for their cats and dogs and he was all for it. He was all for everything that gives you joy. And I think he's absolutely right. Just to be clear: if it gives you joy to torture people, do not go for it. In fact, I'd suggest you rather go to a therapist and/or psychiatrist. But I'm not talking about psychopaths here, I'm talking about regular people who enjoy little stupid things which they might be embarrassed about.

I see people judging others for pretty much everything on a daily basis. They make fun of them or think less of them or talk behind their back because they did something which doesn't fit into their category of enjoyment, like maybe creating an Instagram acount for their pet or having a personal blog or wearing too tight leggins or listening to Taylor Swift or putting pinapple on their pizza. So much gossip is based on such mundane things, both gossip about people we know and about celebrities. Don't get me wrong I love gossip like the next person (possibly even a little more) but there's a difference between gossiping and making people feel bad about what they enjoy.

If you gossip about someone you don't know, it might be a waste of energy but it doesn't really do anything. The person wearing that awful outfit in the bus probably doesn't care about you or your opinion at all. But if you don't understand your friends' "guilty pleasures" (which is a stupid term in itself because pleasure does not equal guilt) and tell them how stupid you think their love for childrens' cartoons or women's magazines is, they might start to feel embarassed for it and stop doing it or at least start to hide it.

There's no reason to be embarassed about the things you enjoy! It doesn't matter how ridiculous other people find it, if you like it - go for it! The world is awful enough as it is with terror and racism and hate and conflict everywhere you look. If something still manages to make you smile in the midst of all of it, this means there's still some hope. So let's stop calling our pleasures guilty and instead be proud of them!

Some of my "guilty pleasures" include: Justin Bieber's "Love yourself" (totally obsessed with it), Vampire Diaries, The Selection, The Magicians tv show (so bad but so good), celebrity gossip (I have a gossip app on my phone which I check daily) as well as real life gossip, the Law of Attraction and anything connected to it, analyses of Game of Thrones episodes which are twice as long as the actual episode, writing in my diary, pictures of people kissing, Nina Dobrev (I used to carry a picture of her around in my purse as an inspiration), Cosmopolitan, the LadyGang podcast and Facebook group, and so so much more. I don't care if people disagree with my favourites (mostly their disagreement actually makes sense to me), but if I stopped being exited about those things, life would be pretty dull. So let's just not stop being exited about little things.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen